Check if you're eligible to apply
To be eligible to apply for the Stockholm Innovation Scholarship you must:
- Apply as an individual (Companies are not allowed to apply).
- Reside, work, and/or study in Stockholm County* at the time of application.
- Not have received a Stockholm Innovation Scholarship twice in the past two years.
- Not have been an employee of the City of Stockholm, including associated companies or administrations, in the past year.
* Botkyrka, Danderyd, Ekerö, Haninge, Huddinge, Järfälla, Lidingö, Nacka, Norrtälje, Nykvarn, Nynäshamn, Salem, Sigtuna, Sollentuna, Solna, Stockholm, Sundbyberg, Södertälje, Tyresö, Täby, Upplands-Bro, Upplands Väsby, Vallentuna, Vaxholm, Värmdö, Österåker.
More about the qualification criteria
- The Innovation Scholarship encourages individuals who are interested in developing their idea, but may lack support from companies, organisations, or institutions.
- You may apply as an individual or as a team. At least one of the team member(s) must fulfil the requirements of either residing, working or studying in Stockholm County at the time of application.
- The team member, who fulfills these requirements, is the one who should apply for the scholarship. That person will also represent the other team member(s) should the innovation win. This person is responsible for sharing the scholarship among fellow team member(s).
Choose a scholarship category
Choose the category which fits your innovation the best.
Category 1: Simplify everyday life
Our lives are becoming more and more digitized, opening new possibilities in terms of individualization as well as mobility, sustainability and well-being. We are looking for innovations that are smart, forward-thinking solutions, which contribute to improving all aspects of our daily lives including home, work, transportation, sports, and other leisure activities.
In this category, we are looking for innovations that can make a person’s everyday life easier. The innovation can be a physical product, a service or a combination of both.
Category 2: Creative industries
Stockholm offers a unique environment where different creative industries can meet and collaborate, thereby promoting the growth of creative industries locally and even internationally. We are looking for innovative solutions within film, literature, music, fashion, and gaming. There is also a need for innovative solutions within key sectors of society including business, health, and education.
In this category, we are looking innovative solutions within film, literature, music, food, fashion, design and gaming. The innovation can be a physical product, a service or a combination of both.
Category 3: Life Science and health
Due to its rapid growth, Stockholm is facing major challenges when it comes to meeting its inhabitants’ needs within healthcare, both preventive care and effective medical care. We need smart innovative solutions that improve today’s healthcare, improve people’s quality of life and well-being, as well as our lives and health in general.
In this category, we are looking for innovative solutions within digital healthcare, biological and medical technology, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, nutrition and training. The innovation can be a physical product, a service or a combination of both.
Category 4: Travel and turism
Aiming for Stockholm to position itself as an even more appealing city to visitors, we are looking for innovative solutions that develop and/or market Stockholm as an attractive destination for modern, aware individuals. The innovation can be a new experience or type of experience, an idea of how an experience is marketed, discovered, made available, enhanced, developed or something even more innovative that deals with how Stockholm takes care of all their visitors.
In this category, we are looking for solutions within hospitality where hotels and other accommodations, restaurants, transport and trade are the biggest industries. The innovation can be a physical product, a service or a combination of both.
Category 5: Social impact and sustainability
Stockholm has a long tradition of promoting innovation within social and ecological sustainability to create results that are beneficial to society as a whole. We are looking for forward-thinking smart products and services that create positive societal outcomes.
In this category, we are looking for smart products and services within environmental technology, foodtech, edtech and all other types of social innovations. The innovation can be a physical product, a service or a combination of both.
Read through the judging criteria
The jury evaluates the submissions based on the following criteria.
- Innovation and implementation: How unique is the innovation and what are the conditions for the innovation to succeed (team, strategy, financing et cetera)?
- Marketing and commercialisation: Is there a market with a clearly identifiable customer for the innovation? Does the innovation have the potential to make money?
- Sustainability: Is the innovation sustainable from a social, economic and ecological standpoint?